Vastu shastra (vāstu śāstra) is a traditional Hindu system of architecture which literally translates to “science of architecture. These are texts found on the Indian subcontinent that describe principles of design, layout, measurements, ground preparation, space arrangement and spatial geometry. Vastu Shastras incorporate traditional Hindu and in some cases Buddhist beliefs. The designs are intended to integrate architecture with nature, the relative functions of various parts of the structure, and ancient beliefs utilizing geometric patterns (yantra), symmetry and directional alignments.
Vastu Shastra are the textual part of Vastu Vidya, the latter being the broader knowledge about architecture and design theories from ancient India. Vastu Vidya knowledge is a collection of ideas and concepts, with or without the support of layout diagrams, that are not rigid. Rather, these ideas and concepts are models for the organization of space and form within a building or collection of buildings, based on their functions in relation to each other, their usage and to the overall fabric of the Vastu. Ancient Vastu Shastra principles include those for the design of Mandir (Hindu temples) and the principles for the design and layout of houses, towns, cities, gardens, roads, water works, shops and other public areas.
Vastu is one of the most ancient sciences of architecture and is composed of specific rules, regulations and directions, set down by sages of the Vedic times. Vastu shastra considers a house to be a living soul, having prana. Vastu Shastra is based on science since Feng Shui is based on local geographic considerations and traditions. In Vastu Shastra, the North direction is generally regarded as auspicious because it is regarded as a source of magnetic energy. The East direction is also regarded as auspicious because this direction is the source of solar (sun) energy.
Working of Vastu
In Vastu Shastra, the cooking stove in the kitchen should generally be placed on the right while the sink should be placed on the left, sleeping with head pointing to the South or East directions is considered auspicious. In Vastu Shastra, big or heavy furniture like sofa, TV, radio equipment, etc should be placed at the South or Southwest sector of a house. This will leave more space in the North and East area – considered auspicious.
Vastu works on three principles of design that cover the entire premise.
- The first principle is Bhogadyam, which says that the designed premise must be useful and lend itself to easy application.
- The second principle is Sukha Darsham, in which the designed premise must be aesthetically pleasing. The proportions of the spaces and the material used, in the interiors and exteriors of the building – ornamentation, color, sizes of the windows, doors and the rooms and the rhythms of projection and depressions – should be beautiful.
- The third principle is Ramya, where the designed premise should evoke a feeling of well being in the user.
Five elements of Vastu
In fact, the real masters say that if you have been having a satisfactory life in the terms of health, wealth and relationships, your house is utilizing all the energies properly, so do not disturb it. Also, they warn against generalizing of the good and the bad directions, as these directions vary from house to house and person to person. Vastu Shastra believes that just like humans, a building has a life that weakens after some years. Therefore, to rejuvenate it, the resident must do a Vastu pooja every 30 years. They both utilize the five elements; however, Vastu uses earth, water, fire, air and space.
Believers in Vastu claims that home built on that tradition promise the well being and welfare of its dwellers. Only if you are happy in your dwelling place you can find success in life and workplace.
Vastu is gaining popularity in India and people are looking for Vastu experts for correction of Vastu dosha in their homes, Factories and Business institutions. It consumes lot of money to make alternations after completion of construction work. Hence we like to provide few important tips as mentioned below will help you to check before construction or renovation.
- Take care while buying a Land, the land should slope to the north or east.
- Northern and eastern portions of land should have open space.
- A house should be independent and its owner should be able to walk around its perimeter.
- Always dig the well in the north east direction.
- Build a staircase having an uneven number of steps (5, 7, 9, 11) which runs clockwise
- Never have a south-western entrance because it spells financial ruin.
- Water should drain out to the north or east. Hence, slope of the floor of bathrooms should be towards north or east.
- Kitchen must be built in the south-east corner and burner of the gas stove should be kept in the south east corner of the kitchen room. The house wife should face east while cooking.
- Wash basin should be in the northeast corner of the kitchen.
- Shelves for utensils and other utilities should be placed on the south or west side.
- In your kitchen, ensure that opposite stove there is no refrigerator, washing machine, wash basin and toilet.
- The master bedroom should be in the south-west direction as stability in provided by this direction.
- Head of the family should have a bedroom in the south west direction and it should be larger than other bedrooms.
- Bed rooms for unmarried children may be built on the east side.
- Bed rooms for unmarried youths or for guests should be in the north-west side.
- Bed room for the young couples should be in the north.
- Bed room should never be made in the north east corner.
- Bed should be placed in the east or south portion of the room.
- One should never sleep with head towards north. Head of the person while sleeping should remain towards south and feet towards north.
- Dinning room should be in the west.
- Dinning table should be arranged in the south-west or north-west portion of the room.
- Person while taking meals should face either towards east or north.
- Fridge and any other electrical appliances should be kept in the south-east corner.
- Pooja room should be built in the north-east corner. One should worship facing north or east.
- Idols or pictures of the gods should be placed on a high platform or a cup-board in the north or east side.
- There should not be any toilet or kitchen above/below or adjacent to the pooja room.
- Toilet should be built between south and south-west or in north-west.
- Attached bath/toilet should be provided towards the north or west of the room.
- Seat in the toilet should be fixed such that a person may sit facing north or south.
- Study room should be between west and south-west, The person should sit facing north or east while studying.
- Book shelf should be placed along the north-east corner only.
- A common room should be provided in the space between east and north-east which can be used for entertaining the visitors and guests or a place where all family members can sit together.
- It can also be used as a bed room for unmarried children or as a store room for common articles.
- There should be no mirrors opposite your bed or the side of your bed.
- In a non-vasthu building, the person living on the upper most floor (away from earth) is least affected by vasthu effects due to weak magnetic influence of the earth.
- Vasthu norms do not favor construction of basement in a house.
VASTU TIPS FOR OFFICE OR FACTORY
- Toilets in the administrative building should be made in south-east or north-west area.
- Maintenance workshop may be in south or south-west.
- A temple should be palced in north-east corner
- North-east should always be free from any parking of vehicles.
- North-east direction should be avoided for a gueard room or security cabin.
- South-west corners should be strictly avoided for toilets.
- Reception should be in north-east direction.
- The office of senior management should be in southern or south-west zone of the office. Sit on the south-west side of an office and face north.
- Sitting arrangement of a cashier should be north
- For training purpose west is the best direction.
- Marketing department should be in north-west direction
- These are the general vastu tips for a happy and prosperous life, however if you want personalized vastu services then please visit a vasthu specialist. service
- Best place for an air-conditioning plant to locate in the south direction.
- Stock goods for sale in the wind-buffeted north-west direction.
General Vastu tips:
- Your head should be towards the east or south while sleeping
- The rooms in the south should never have ceiling low as compared to ceiling of the rooms in east and north side.
- One should never sleep under exposed beam as it brings ill fortune.
- Your face should be towards the east while cooking food.
- The ceiling of the pooja room should be lower than the ceiling of the other rooms in the house.
- There should be no noise while opening the doors and windows especially the entrance door from hinges etc. to remove the noise keeps the hinges well oiled.
- A picture of lord Ganesha and Saraswati is the good in study room.
- The house should always be kept neat and clean and all the wastage etc.. should be dumped or stored in west of the house.
- To prevent the house from evil-eyes, seven green chilies and lemon should be hung at the main entrance of the house, shop etc..
- Change the bed sheets during day time.
- A cutout in the roof should be provided in the northeast to ensure proper ventilation of the house. This factor works as a natural air-conditioner for the house.
- One should never provide three doors on a single wall, especially in the front on the house.
- One should never construct circular stairs in the house.
- It is very auspicious to view rising sun after taking bath in the morning.
- A blue bed sheet should never be used in the house.
- Keep cash and jewelry in the safe or locker which opens in the north.
Note: The above information only for your ready reference and basic guide lines. This is collected information to give to my customers, so please show your Land, business or Flat to an experienced Vastu pandit before finalizing.